Sunday, August 21, 2011

Lawyer/humorist Wajahat Ali tackles the serious topic of 'Islamophobia'

By Matt O'Brien
mattobrien@bayareanewsgroup.com

Playwright, lawyer and humorist Wajahat Ali is known to fellow Fremont residents as a man of many projects. As we meet for an interview downtown, a passer-by interrupts to ask Ali, in Urdu, "What are you working on now?" One answer is scripting an HBO pilot, with novelist Dave Eggers, about a Muslim cop in San Francisco. Ali, 30, has made a career of writing about ordinary Muslim Americans with humor and candor. Another project marks Ali's first big dive into political advocacy, with a report (due out this week) he has co-authored with researchers at the Center for American Progress in Washington, D.C. Ali says it exposes how a small network of anti-Muslim activists transformed a fringe movement into a mainstream cause.

Q So your report hasn't even come out yet, but the anti-Islam blogger Pamela Geller has already called you a "stealth jihadist." Are you offended?

A Not at all. Pam Geller attacked me because I pretty much exposed her and her agenda on a radio station in New York, because she and her allies were mentioned more than 200 times in (Norwegian mass shooter) Anders Breivik's 1,500-page manifesto. ... He was ideologically inspired by people like her and her allies.

Q What made you get into this political project?

A My whole life I've been the unintentional token spokesman for all things Muslim and Pakistani. It was not by choice. I call myself the accidental activist. When I was a young kid I was, like, the only open practicing Muslim, and I knew a lot about my Pakistani roots. So inevitably I gave dozens of impromptu lectures about all things Muslim and Pakistani. And (for) a lot of my friends in the Bay Area, I was their only Muslim or Pakistani friend. So they were like, Hey, Waj, what's up with Pakistan? ... The Center for Progress thought, why not go to a non-D.C. guy and think outside the box. I realized, as a student of American history, the current boogeyman is American Muslims. And I wanted to help turn the tide toward civil discourse, in which we wouldn't divide Americans based on ethnicity and religion.
Q What do you think of the depiction of Muslim Americans on TV?

A It's usually framed through the lens of national security, terrorism, violence and fundamentalism. A recent report says Americans have a negative image of Muslims (for) two reasons: ignorance, in the sense that a lot of Americans say they don't know a Muslim; ... and they say the media frames their perceptions of Muslims. ... The hope is to move beyond that frame, to show the nuances. We need authentic Muslim American storytellers telling authentic Muslim American narratives.

Q On a blog post you mentioned the Ramadan State of Mind. What's that?

A On the blog I try to remove what I call the "ascetic monk lens" from which both Muslim Americans and average Americans view Ramadan -- Muslims being this spiritual, superhero monk type who have this insane biological system that allows them to fast without water and drink. We're like Ivan Drago from "Rocky IV," right? It's very inhuman almost, the presentation of Ramadan and Muslims fasting. ... I just try to talk like a normal person, to expose my whiny-ness, the fact that sometimes it sucks being Muslim. Sometimes I'm spiritually elevated, sometimes spiritually defeated. Sometimes I just want to eat food.

Q You've talked about how kids who grew up in the shadow of 9/11 are helping to push a new narrative. What is that narrative?

A The narrative is: "I am both Muslim and American; one cannot coexist without the other. My values from both identities complement one another and intersect. I am living proof that there is no conflict between the West and Islam. Proof that there needs not be an Armageddon or a clash of cultural values." Just go talk to these people. They fast during Ramadan and listen to Jay-Z's latest album. They eat their mom's dal but then they also eat pho. Their best friend is African-American or Vietnamese-American, and they'll invite them over for Eid. That's as American as apple pie, or maybe as American as falafel and hummus.

Source: www.mercurynews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment