Sunday, March 4, 2012

Magan Tahir bounces back like his table tennis ball

It is a story about hope, the story a young Somali boy who was disabled in an explosion and fled his war-torn country for a place he didn’t like at first. Magan Tahir, a Somali-born Dutch citizen and professional table tennis player, found a way to bounce back like the ball in his favourite sport.


His childhood dream was to play basketball. At age 33, this professional sportsman, who has been living in the Netherlands for 18 years, is the best wheelchair table tennis player in the country. “As far as wheelchair table tennis is concerned, I am number one. But when it comes to ‘regular’ table tennis, I try to remain in the top thirty. I always try to challenge myself by playing against able bodied players”, says Magan Tahir, with a smiley face.

Challenges
Magan has overcome many challenges. He had a relatively quiet childhood in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, despite the ongoing civil war in the country that started in 1986. But Somalia was ultimately plunged into chaos after the collapse of the state regime in 1991, events that would have lasting impact on Magan’s life. Magan still recalls the tragic day that changed his life, when he was 14 years old: “I remember it clearly: it was 11am and my father and I were playing checkers in front of the house. Then a bomb dropped nearby. I sustained injuries on my legs and was subsequently paralysed”.

Magan and his father found refuge in Europe and ended up in the city of Leeuwarden, in northern Netherlands. “We moved here in 1994, partly because of my condition but also because of the war in Somalia”, Magan explains. His first impressions of the country were not very good. “When I arrived in the Netherlands, it was very cold and I struggled. Then I started meeting people who were different, quiet people. At that moment I thought: “this is no place for me”, the wheelchair table tennis champion recounts.

“While everyone slept, I played”
Table tennis turned out to be a life saver for Magan: “During my stay at the refugees centre, the other refugees were not active at all. I thought to myself: “how can I learn the language, the culture, and how can I start exercising again?” At the centre, we had a tennis table and I used to play every night until 4 or 5am. While everyone slept, I played”.

After years of training at the Leeuwarden table tennis club, “Ready” Magan Tahir climbed to the top of the Dutch wheelchair table tennis rankings. His next goal?: “I would like to play in the Paralympics games. Unfortunately, I lost some of my sponsors due to the financial crisis. Although I am number one in the Netherlands, I am not highly ranked internationally because I haven’t played much outside the country”. But Magan still hopes to play in the London games.

Return to Somalia
Magan Tahir remains positive and enthusiastic, and does not forget his native country: “My biggest dream is to go back to Somalia to help disabled people; to teach them everything I learned here”, he says. “They did not have the chance that I had. I would like to go back and talk to the Somali authorities about the needs of disabled people. After the Paralympics games this year, I will seriously think about ways to realise that dream”.

Source: RNW (www.rnw.nl)

No comments:

Post a Comment